William L. Abrams
Mr. Abrams is the partner in charge of AGMB’s entertainment law, sports law, business management, corporate and securities law, estate planning and tax law practices.
Mr. Abrams represents entertainment clients, including actors, writers, producers, musicians, models and professional athletes, in connection with film, music, television, and multi-media projects. He advises such clients on all aspects of financing, production, distribution, and intellectual property matters, including copyright and trademark issues.
On the corporate side of the entertainment industry, Mr. Abrams assists film funds, entertainment finance companies, independent record companies, film and television production companies, individual producers, executive producers and directors, and multi-media companies with their business ventures. This part of his practice includes matters such as entity selection, financing and capitalization, taxation, and negotiation of complex transactions. As Mr. Abrams is a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) in both New York and California, he also provides any necessary accounting requested by clients for personal or corporate, tax or business needs.
In addition to his entertainment practice, Mr. Abrams handles general corporate matters, including preparing and negotiating shareholder agreements as well as confidentiality, non-competition, employment, product distribution, and purchase and sale agreements. He has negotiated and drafted software licenses, service agreements, bills of sale and similar documents affecting cross-border sales.
Estate planning is also a significant part of Mr. Abrams’ practice. His work in this area includes analysis and consultation in relationship to usage of wills, trusts, family limited partnerships, family limited liability companies, gifting, charitable foundations and trusts, corporate transition planning and structuring, insurance trusts, life insurance, annuities, and self-canceling installment notes.
Mr. Abrams has taught entertainment law classes at the University of California, Los Angeles.
Mr. Abrams lives with his family in Los Angeles, California, and works out of the firms’ Burbank, California and New York offices.
Media and Publications
Mr. Abrams has appeared on national and local news programs commenting on a broad range of entertainment, tax and legal issues, and has been quoted in publications such as Forbes, The Los Angeles Times, and The Chicago Tribune. He has published articles in The Journal of Accountancy and The New York Independent Film Monitor.
- New York University – Master of Laws (LLM) in Taxation
- New York University – Master of Laws (LLM) in Corporation Law
- Boston University School of Law – J.D., 1989
- State University of New York at Albany – Magna Cum Laude, BS in Accounting, 1986
- Squadron, Ellenoff, Plesent & Sheinfeld, LLP (now known as Hogan Lovells US, LLP)
- Price Waterhouse & Co. (now PricewaterhouseCoopers LLC)
Bar, Court Admission and Licenses
- New York State Bar
- California State Bar
- Certified Public Accountant, New York and California
Membership and Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- California Bar Association
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- The California Society of Certified Public Accountants
- The New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Mr. Abrams is a member of the board of directors of several charities and non-profit organizations.