Larry is the managing partner of the Commercial Real Estate Department of the bi-coastal law firm Abrams Garfinkel Margolis Bergson, LLP (“AGMB”). Larry takes great pride in providing his clients with the power to make knowledgeable decisions concerning their business and individual needs. Combining decades of commercial real estate ownership with a professional background in law, accounting, commercial brokerage, property management, construction, planning and development, Larry and his team can be the difference in helping our clients navigate the challenging times that may lie ahead in their lives or business. AGMB is counsel to REBNY and currently represents over 30 lending institutions, in addition to its purchase and sale, construction, litigation, tax, estate planning and administration and entertainment practice.
Larry represents both tenants and landlords, focusing primarily on commercial lease negotiations, restructurings, reviews and audits in addition to real estate acquisitions, dispositions, construction contracts and due diligence advisory services. Having sat on all sides of the negotiating table, Larry firmly believes that he and his team of real estate professionals have an increased business understanding of the mindset of all parties to a transaction, and consequently, a competitive edge that will only enhance our client’s bargaining position. Other areas of expertise consist of commercial and residential real estate closings, including the representation of lenders in loan transactions and the representation of various national entities in leasing and sale transactions.
In addition to maintaining a law practice for nearly 30 years, in 1996 Larry was a co-founding partner of a full service commercial real estate firm specializing in the development, ownership, management, turn-around and leasing of commercial and high-rise residential properties. Until he moved on in 2007, as its General Counsel and Chief Administrative Officer, Larry’s primary responsibilities were the review, preparation, negotiation and analysis of commercial leases, construction, purchase, sale, operating, acquisition, AIA and employment agreements as well as loan documents and other related commercial agreements. Ancillary to the aforesaid legal responsibilities, Larry was intimately involved-on the business side-in the acquisition, renovation, leasing and management of the firm’s portfolio, including the upgrading and repositioning of the properties in the then emerging markets of Newark and Harlem (including the building where Former President Bill Clinton still maintains his office, in which Larry still holds an ownership interest). Additional responsibilities included advising landlords, tenants and clients, as applicable, concerning purchases, dispositions, leasing, property management and value enhancement strategies. Other areas of expertise consist of commercial and residential real estate closings, including the representation of lenders in loan transactions and the representation of various national entities in leasing and sale transactions. In the 1990’s, Larry played an integral part in representing institutional purchasers of distressed real estate loan portfolios. Responsibilities included oversight of the receiverships pertaining to the underlying real estate, restructuring and workouts of the office and retail leases and, from a legal perspective, supervision of the due diligence and property management ancillary thereto.
Mr. Haber lives on Long Island with his wife and their four sons. His passions include his family, music, skiing, golfing and active participation in charities focused on raising awareness, tolerance, acceptance and sorely needed funds for children with disabilities (https://www.facebook.com/BraveGoals4Autism).
Executive Producer, Director and Writer for the Winner of the 2010 New York International Independent Film and Video Festival Best Educational Documentary: “Making a Difference-The Ascent Youth Alliance to Battle Autism” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNdN9g-aApc)
Prominent real estate transactions in which Larry actively participated in on the legal, acquisition, ownership, management, brokerage and construction side include:
- Third party management, leasing and subsequent acquisition (1997) of 270 Lafayette Street in Soho. Negotiated lease restructurings with tenants in a building 50% occupied, repositioning the building for successful re-tenanting and rebirth. Invested in building upgrades and resold the building at double its initial sales price in 1999.
- In partnership with an institutional investor, acquired 55 West 125th Street (1998) and 215 West 125th Street (2000) in Harlem (then the two largest, privately-owned buildings in Harlem). Commenced lease up and capital improvement programs, each building subsequently winning the prestigious Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) award. Among the tenants are the Offices of Former President William J. Clinton, Social Security and the Internal Revenue Service. In 2003, the institutional investor was bought out by Mr. Haber and his partners, resulting in his group owning 100% of the two properties. In 2006, 90% of the properties were sold to an institutional investor, and to this day, Larry still retains an ownership interest in the properties.
- Acquisition of one million square foot 60 Broad Street in Lower Manhattan (2000), when it was 100% leased but only 45% occupied. A purchase contract was finalized containing no construction risk with the closing delayed until the building was 100% occupied, creating significant additional value for the investors. Tenant roster includes NYS and NYC. The property was sold at a substantial gain in 2003.
Mr. Haber is a co-founder and Adult Chairman of Ascent Youth Alliance to Battle Autism (AYABA) and 4Boyz Autographs to Battle Autism (4Boyz ABA). AYABA, a program of the Ascent School for Autism, is a small army of student volunteers helping local children impacted by autism reach their full potential, by raising funds necessary for their education and enhancement of their socialization skills, as well as by promoting awareness, tolerance and acceptance. 4Boyz ABA donates autographed memorabilia for the AYABA Student Volunteer Fundraiser and over 25 autism and child-related charities in the metropolitan area, including Long Island and New Jersey.
Media and Publications
Mr. Haber is highly active in providing several avenues by which useful information, accumulated through years of intimate involvement on all sides of the negotiating table, can be accessed. Highlighting his efforts is a comprehensive blog that provides visitors a variety of resource links and instructional YouTube videos discussing a number of topics related to leasing.
- Video Blog: https://agmblaw.com/category/commercial-real-estate-leasing-vlog/
- Twitter: @theleaseguru (Tip of The Day)
- Instagram: theleaseguru (Tip of the Day)
- Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/larry-haber/b/261/442 (Video Tip of the Day)
- Leasing Trade Secrets & Other Truths VLOG PowerPoint Presentations: https://agmblaw.com/resources/
- St. John’s University School of Law, Queens, NY: J.D., Law, 1985
- State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY: B.A., Accounting, 1981
- Seymour Schneidman & Associates (CPA’s)
- Oppenheim Appel Dixon (CPA’s)
- Murray Hill Properties (Outside General Counsel)
- Law Offices of Larry H. Haber
- Cogswell Realty Group (General Counsel, Member & Chief Administrative Officer)
- Colgate Realty Estate Advisors (CEO & Founder)
Bar, Court Admission and Licenses
- New York State Bar
- New York State Certified Public Accountant
- New York State Licensed Real Estate Broker
1430 Broadway, 17th Floor, New York, New York 10018 | Phone: 212-201-1170
3900 West Alameda Avenue, Suite 2100, Burbank, California 91505 | Phone: 310-300-2900
225 Broadhollow Road, Suite 102, Melville, NY 11747 | Phone: 516-986-2745
These links opens another window.
© 2019 Abrams Garfinkel Margolis Bergson, LLP. All Rights Reserved. Attorney Advertising: Please note that prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.
By AGMB Law LLP / June 17, 2019
Michael Xylas, Partner in the AGMB Real Estate division, recently led a discussion with Wells Fargo Sales Manager Stephen Lascher....Read More
By AGMB Law LLP / June 7, 2019
Michael Xylas, a co-Partner in Charge of Abrams Garfinkel Margolis Bergson’s residential real estate and banking practices recently represented AGMB...Read More
By AGMB Law LLP / June 5, 2019
Michael Barone, the Partner In Charge of AGMB's Mortgage Compliance Practice and recently appointed Counsel to the New York Association of...Read More
By AGMB Law LLP / June 4, 2019
Senior associate with AGMB’s Mortgage Compliance Practice, Marie J. O’Brien, has been highlighted as one of HousingWire’s 2019 Rising Stars. Click...Read More