Barry G. Margolis
Barry Margolis is the co-chair of AGMB’s Litigation Practice Group. Mr. Margolis’ practice focuses primarily on representing clients in complex commercial litigation with an emphasis in real estate litigation including commercial foreclosure and loan workout. Mr. Margolis also regularly represents boards of cooperatives, condominiums and homeowner associations as general counsel and in connection with a wide variety of litigation including shareholder/sponsor disputes, vendor claims, election controversies and all other aspects of community association living. Mr. Margolis’ practice also includes defense work in the areas of directors and officers (D&O) liability, professional liability (legal), miscellaneous/not-for-profit insurance lines and errors and omissions (E&O) matters.
Mr. Margolis lives with his wife and three children in Jericho, New York and works primarily out of the firms’ New York office.
In Barnan Associates LLC v. 196 Owners Corp., 14 N.Y.3d 780, 926 N.E.2d 231, 899 N.Y.S.2d 724 (2010), Mr. Margolis fashioned an appellate strategy and argument convincing the Court of Appeals to reverse a First Department decision effectively permitting a sponsor/commercial tenant calculating rent escalations under a commercial lease to derive the benefit of tax abatements and exemptions specifically mandated for residential tenant-shareholders.
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law – J.D., 1989
- State University of New York at Binghamton – B.A., 1986
- Margolis Bergson LLP (Founding Member)
- Herrick, Feinstein LLP (Counsel)
- Shea & Gould (Associate)
- Office of the New York County District Attorney (Assistant District Attorney)
Bar, Court Admission and Licenses
- New York State Bar, Appellate Division, First Department
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York
- United States District Court, Eastern District of New York
Membership and Affiliations
- New York State Bar Association
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
- The Cooperative and Condominium Law Committee